Wednesday, February 10, 2010

From The Vault Review #1: Beginnings by Memento (2003)



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Let me start off by saying that I got this CD on a whim from Amazon.com, I didn't listen to any of the full songs or anything. I was bored one night and I was looking up random bands and I thought the cover, thought it was cool, and ordered the CD for just one cent.I decided to read reviews of this album before it shipped to my house. Basically the reviews described this band as solid alternative metal band so I decided to give Memento a chance.

Another excellent decision on my part, this CD is amazing. At first however, I wasn't too impressed. I listened to the first song, "Nothing Sacred" and wasn't really into it too much. I just thought, "Hm, this is just like the reviews said. Solid alternative metal." Once that song finished, I began listening to the next track, "Saviour". I really started to notice that Memento was more than just a typical alternative metal outfit. This song blew me away with Justin (lead singer) 's diverse vocals and Jason 'Space' Smith's amazing guitar work. The rhythm section fits in nicely too. After being impressed by that song, I started to listen to the third song on the album, the title track "Beginnings". This song basically an extremely powerful and emotional acoustic ballad. This song was definitely not what I was expecting from the band. Justin's vocals really shine here. This song is just moving, plain and simple.

The songs after that continue to get better yet remain diverse at the time. From the crunchy sounding 4th track, "Shell" to the heavy and rocking "Abyss". Both were solid tracks and just straight up rockers. Same goes for "Below". Then, Memento defied my expectations again. Just when I thought they couldn't sound any more different than other bands, we get the one-two punch songs of "Reflections" and "Blister". The band really experiments in this song, adding female guest vocals at the end as well as string sections. Like the title track, this song is powerful as well as emotional.

"Coming" and "Stare" follow next, and they both just punch you in the face with their heaviness. Once the opening riff kicks in for "Coming" I just want to start headbanging. "Stare" is another rocker, but it has a great, radio friendly chorus. In my opinion, it would have made a great single. The final song, "Figure 8" is a fantastic way to close the album.

Sadly, Memento split up in 2004 due to personal issues before they could ever record another full length album. Justin, Space and Leighton "Lats" Kearns (the bassist) did reform briefly as a band called Nine Times Bodyweight but this project didn't last either. Space is still active as a studio guitarist, he played guitar and e-bow on the track "Waste" on post-grunge/hard rock band Seether's 2007 album Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces while Lats resurfaced in the band Monster in the Machine. Justin is currently working as an actor in his native Australia.

Anyway back to the review, this album is diverse and has something for everyone. It has extremely enjoyable heavy songs, amazing emotional acoustic moments, and great/unique songwriting. Each member of the band is a pro at their respective instrument as well. Anyone can appreciate this album, from the casual rock fan, the open minded metal head or anyone who enjoys good music in general can find something to like in "Beginnings". Do yourself a favor and buy this as soon as possible!

-Joe